Thursday, February 7, 2008

Top Ten Super Foods


My mother in-law recently shared an article that she read on MSN about the "10 Best Foods You Should Be Eating". My husband and I decided to take on the challenge of eating all of the foods (listed below) this week to see if they would make us feel any better. We started off our week with pumpkin seeds in our salad and a cabbage side dish. My body does not really enjoy cabbage all that much and I have been paying the price for that Super Food all week ;)

We next made a gogi/pomegranate/guava punch. This was delicious ;) We could not find gogi berries or guava and so we settled for the 100% juice version. We mixed the punch with some seltzer water to lower the calories and I have to say it is delicious.

It was next onto the prunes which I mixed with some other dried fruits. This was a wonderful snack for the week. Cinnamon and swiss chard came together in one dish and although I overcooked it a bit (got distracted by a game of basketball with my son) it did taste good. Beets were served plain with last nights dinner (I enjoy munching on them) and tonight we plan to substitute broccoli rabe for the difficult to find purslane. We have searched high and low for purslane and have heard rumors that it is mixed in with the pre-washed herb salads that you can buy in the produce section. I will look during our next trip but overall we did well with the list.

Now onto the question...do we feel any better or different? I am not sure if it is the food or all of the exercising I have been doing (probably a combination) but I do feel more energetic. I played "dance party" last night with my son and I outlasted him! My husband says that these foods have really helped him become more regular (if you know what I mean :). Well who knows? We have enjoyed this challenge and plan to incorporate many of these foods into our regular diet....just not the cabbage for me! We now challenge you :)

The 10 Best Foods You Should Be Eating!!!

1. Pumpkin seeds
2. Beets
3. Cabbage
4. Guava
5. Swiss Chard
6. Cinnamon
7. Purslane
8. Pomegranate
9. Goji Berries
10. Dried Plums

Check out this website for more info!

No comments: